Saturday, May 1, 2010

Walking the Synthetic Line


    No, I don't mean plastic surgery. This will not be a blog about Heidi Montag. I really don't care what some blonde does with her body. At least now I can tell my niece that Barbie really does exist.

    This blog is a bit more important that altering one's appearance. I was dreaming last night about lots of different things. And among those were AMTM's very first all plus sized models season, a mall with lots of stores I've never heard of, and one particular purse that I think was my dream purse. I made such a fuss over it in my dream. The bag was a soft pink with a very small hint of polka dots of a darker pink. There was a little bit of frill on the outer side. Needless to say the bag was girly but it all worked in such a wonderful way. It was just the right size and had just the right amount of compartments. I wanted it and I grabbed. And my dream purse was only $18! I had to get it. I remember walking right up to the counter and just as I was about to buy it I stopped and pulled the bag off of the counter and looked at the girl behind the counter and simply demanded, "What's this bag made of?"

    The last thought I remember having was, "This had better be synthetic." And other than the waking up with the realization that Ian Somerhalder is my soul mate, I knew that I needed to get this out into the void for those as uninformed as I was a while back.

     A couple of weeks ago…or…to be honest I'm not sure how long ago it was. But I made a vow to use only synthetically made products after watching a very educational short for PETA, narrated by Joaquin Phoenix. Despite his absence from the media and awkward departure from the entertainment industry, I'm happy to see him back and backing such important causes. I never liked the selling of exotic skins to make bags and such but this video of his really opened my eyes. I can only hope by talking about it here that I'll open the door for others. Maybe others will make the pledge to go synthetic: No leather, no wool, no fur. Please think about what you're really doing. I know I can't exactly go veggie at this time (let's face it, I love me a good burger!) but I can try to help as much as I can, even if it is just one less person buying.

    Anyway, Joaquin says it much better than I do. I will warn you, however, if you're susceptible to the pain of animals and are easily rattled…this video is graphic in nature and it would be best if you watched this video with a box of tissues or more environmentally favorable, a hanky.




No comments:

Post a Comment