Thursday, April 29, 2010

Too Late To Realize


    I've always lived in a world where people don't care about what's going on around them. By "around them" I mean the world, not the girl from down the street who slept with the guy from the next town over who's going out with their cousin's sister's best friend who has a kid fathered by her boyfriend's step-brother. Things happen: Hurrican Katrina, 9-11, earthquake in Haiti, possible Tsunami in Hawaii; and they could care less. Why? Because they don't have to care, according to them.

    The past couple of days I've been watching and reading posts, tweets, news articles and broadcasts about the oil spill in the gulf and almost everyone that I've seen has yet to mention anything about it. They don't discuss the news because it's not a fad yet. It took about a week before Haiti really gained any "popularity" among the general public and even then most people could only talk about some guy talking about how Haiti deserved it.

    I try to incorporate as much green as possible into my life. We only get one chance at this life and only one chance at making this place a better place not for our children, but for ourselves.

    I've been trying to make sense of this place we call home. The days are getting hotter, the winters are getting colder and harsher, the spring isn't lasting as long as it use to, and fall has almost permanently melded itself in with summer.

    I know that my writing seems erratic and it's because at this very moment I can't think straight. I'm trying to keep myself from crying because I honestly don't know any other way of letting out my frustration. This oil…all of this oil that's spilled in the Gulf, why aren't people panicking? These are OUR oceans. This is where our fish swim. I say "our" because this planet is OURS. ALL of ours. Not the U.S. Not the U.K. Not Russia or Spain or Australia or China but ALL of ours. This planet belongs to all of mankind and all we can do is destroy it.
      I honestly don't know what else to say. I want to sit quietly and glare at everyone that passes by but at the same time I want to shout out at the top of my lungs. I want to cry and I want to scream. Just this morning I read an article on the five most polluted cities and they were all in California!
    What has to happen to provoke a change?

    For those of you who live here in The RGV with me…the distance from the Louisiana Gulf shore to the oil spill is about from Edcouch to Edinburg or Mcallen. It's that close. If it was up to me I'd suggest we all use buggies, carriages, and horses to get around from now on. Hell, bikes work just as well too. Maybe even skates and roller blades. What's sad is that even with all of this in the media, from episodes of The Simpsons to real life tragedies like this Gulf spill, people continued to look the other way whether by habit or choice. The sad thing about it is that writing this blog is about as much as I can do as opposed to walking around collecting trash which I'm already scheduling to do. I don't have the money or power to make real change so I'll start with my own backyard. Maybe I'll organize a water bottle collection or water bottles and batteries…I need to do something. I can't just sit here in front of my computer and wait for the world to change.

    -StephAnnDLC-

     

2 comments:

  1. *sigh* I feel the same way about a lot of things.. this issue included [and the law they're trying to pass in Arizona].

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a whole other blog that I don't think I could get through! Grr!

    ReplyDelete